As the COVID 19 cases in Ontario rapidly increase, Retirement Homes have taken action to prevent the spread to protect staff and residents. For anyone visiting someone in a retirement home, planning on touring a retirement home or moving into a retirement home, new regulations have been put in place by the provincial government.
Effective December 22, 2021 the following rules apply:
Visiting a retirement home, including tours:
- Vaccination status and proof of vaccination will be asked before entering.
- Regardless of vaccination status all visitors must complete a screening before entering the residence including a rapid antigen test*.
- Visitors must wear a disposable medical mask and maintain 6 feet distance from residents at all times including in the resident suites
- Essential Caregivers will be screened at each visit and rapid antigen tested twice a week.
Moving to a retirement home:
Retirement homes will continue to safely welcome new residents during this time. Homes continue to strive for a safe, social and caring environment. There are now enhanced directives for infection control when moving:
- Moving from a hospital, Long Term Care or another retirement home that is not in outbreak, you must take a PCR test before arriving (0-24 hours) and remain in isolation until a negative test result comes back.
- Moving from your home or somewhere else in the community you must take a PCR test before arriving (0-24 hours) and isolate for a minimum of 7 days. During isolation Essential Caregivers are permitted to visit. You must also be tested on Day 7. If this test also comes back negative, you are able to come out of isolation.
*It’s important to check with the retirement home you are visiting or moving into, as they will individually have their own requirements. These requirements may include:
1 – Make an appointment to come visit. To allow for the home to be prepare for enhanced cleaning
2 – The home provides the rapid antigen tests or you may have to arrange for your own testing and provide a negative result to them. Some homes do not have the resources to provide rapid tests to all visitors.
To read more about the new regulations visit: https://www.rhra.ca/en/covid-19-coronavirus-update-families-residents/
If you have questions or concerns about your specific situation please contact Solva at 613-421-6073 or email email@example.com